Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Scariest part of Halloween is the Candy

So we are all aware that the festive holiday of Halloween is soon to arrive. Sure dressing up is great and so is going to crazy Halloween parties. However, from here on out I'd like to avoid the candy part.

I read in an article on Yahoo.com that three mini reeses cup candies have more sugar than a glazed doughnut. Can you believe that? I remember eating those things like chips when I was little. It kind of made my stomach churn to think I ate so horridly in the past. Then again, it is the past, and I'm ready to make some changes.

It's not that surprising that people might be prone to gobbling up the pounds of candy they get in a matter of days. Doesn't make you sick thinking about the amount of sugar people ingest during this holiday? I mean it's literally sugar for breakfast lunch and dinner. I remember trying to hide my stash from my mom so she wouldn't hide it somewhere herself.

So let's take a step back from all that candy. There are other healthy alternatives to tasty halloween treats. You should not skip dinner on halloween night. You need some good cources of energy and nutrition other than empty carbs. Perhaps you could play on the color scheme of black and orange. Maybe make whole grain cupcakes with orange cake and black icing. The combination of celery sticks, peanut butter, and raisins can be made into celery stick spiders. Or maybe canteloupe scoops can be peeled eye balls. These are just some spur of the moment ideas.

Let's try being a little healthier this Halloween, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment